Saudi Anti-Corruption Crackdown: Latest Updates

0
90

Saudi Arabia’s attorney general on Thursday said 208 people have been called in for questioning so far by the newly formed anti-corruption committee as the Kingdom continues its crackdown against corruption.

“Based on our investigations over the past three years, we estimate that at least $100 billion has been misused through systematic corruption and embezzlement over several decades,” attorney general Sheikh Saud Al Mojeb said in a statement.

Seven of the 208 was later released without charge.

Al Mojeb said following the approval from Saudi Arabian Monetary Authority’s (SAMA) governor on Tuesday, the authorities can move to the next phase of investigations and suspend personal bank accounts of those found to persons of interests.

He, however, reiterated that regular commercial activities in the Kingdom will not be affected by the investigations.

“Only personal bank accounts have been suspended. Companies and banks are free to continue with transactions as usual,” he said.

The attorney general said further information of those called in for questioning will not be revealed at the time, “in order to ensure that the individuals continue to enjoy the full legal rights afforded to them under Saudi law.”

Earlier this week, Saudi Arabia detained 11 princes, including billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, as well as 38 former and current ministers, in a sweeping crackdown against corruption after the anti-corruption committee, headed by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was launched on Nov 4.

Source and Credit: Argaam plus

Leave a Reply

  Subscribe  
Notify of